Pages

Tuesday 24 May 2011

Hut Modeling

Originally this hut was modelled by dean in our group but when I got got round to using his it so that I could start putting the sets together I had a few issue. the first was that it had a 9 sided polygon and we have always been told to have no more then a 4 sided in a model although this was fairly simple to fix, after letting dean know that I was going make some adjustments to the model. I started to fix it by using the split polygon tool, which divides the polygon between 2 selected points. This was all simple and I very quickly had a tidy looking model, all it needed now was some small adjustments to the vertexes to make it look tidier. Once I moved the first vertex it turned out there was another under it, from this I also found out there was a polygon under another and it appeared this happened all over the model. After talking to the director and dean it turned out it was going to be quicker for me to rebuild the model.

I started the modelling of the hut by creating a cylinder and scaling it on the X and Z axis but not the Y until the cylinder looked the right dimension. In the picture above you can see where began extruding sections of the cylinder until I got the right look for the hut. I finished the hut in about half an hour but unfortunately the director wasn't to happy with the design so I ended up remaking the model although this didn't bother me as I enjoy modeling anyway.
You can see above see one of the huts that I made but the director want it to feel more like it was a tent and the material was hanging over a frame.

Here you can see the 3 iterations of the hut (from left to right) Deans original, My First attempt and then the final which made the film.

Above you can see a ambient occlusion render of the final model used in the film

No comments:

Post a Comment