Pages

Saturday 28 August 2010

Original Ideas

Influences over my ideas 
  • I love Environment modeling
  • I cant stand working in a style similar to pixar
  • I would like to work with live action if possible
  • I want a kind of gritty feel to my work 
  • I would like a chance to put in some good editing and some motion graphics

First Idea

Now initially when i started thinking about this i really wanted to do a meaning full short film that would have a lot of impact rather than just doing an animation for the sake of an animation. When I started I had all these grand ideas about how I could make this awesome short film relating to the Iraq war and all our soldiers out there, i was planning to convey the emotion of what its like for them to be out there, the anticipation of waiting to get deployed and the grief that the family back home have to live with. this was a really good idea except the more i tried to plan it out the more it kept looking like a series of interviews with not much animation. so after talking with my tutor it was suggested that maybe it could be a more abstract piece displaying emotions through patterns, shape and colours while using the interviews as voice over. This is a brilliant idea but personally I hate the idea of doing an abstract piece, I could never under stand Picasso's work I guess some my say my mind can be a bit linear but hey. When taking this into account I had already began to lose enthusiasm for this idea so I decided it was best to let it go as I am going to have to work on my chosen idea for a year so it need to be able to keep my attention.

Over the next few months I had a couple of ideas mingling around in my head developing until i had enough of an idea to jot them down, my main idea that had been with me throughout was the Greek myth the dethronement of Cronus. Since I was little I have always loved Greek mythology I've always had book on it, it just fascinates me. Recently I had also purchased a direct translation of the myths so its a subject that I have a fair knowledge of. the story itself is just a few short paragraphs long so it would be simple to create (in theory). Unfortunately due to the recent releases of Clash of the Titans, Percy Jackson at the cinema and the video game God of War I put this idea on whole because I didn't want people to think I would just be copying them.

I had 2 other main ideas that I could work on first was an environment piece showing of different styles of architecture as it evolves through the ages. It would do this by having the buildings slowly rotating while being constructed it would then collapse back down followed by another building of a new era being built up. I really liked this idea but it involved as it would involve a lot of composting for the transitions but not much animation also it would lack a strong narrative and I had to bear in mind i had to pitch this to my classmates and tutors.

My final idea was a British take on coyote and roadrunner but with a twist instead it would be a fox and a chicken/rabbit. it would be the classic comical duo the fox trying to catch the chicken and failing miserably, although this was a goo idea I never got round to developing it fully. (see below)

With these all in mind I began talking to people about my them and seeing what people thought as I work better with feedback plus as i was doing work experience at the mill i thought where else would be better to get the feedback. While people seemed to like the fox and chicken idea the general answer I got was do which work on whatever ever I was most passionate about while I still have the chance, which for me was the Greek Myths. I was told not to worry about the films and games that had come out and just do it because I enjoy it.

No comments:

Post a Comment